Sunday, October 19, 2008

Namesake

In a previous post, Nicole talked about our trip to San Clemente to visit some of our family. This was an important part of the trip for me because I got to see Teo with his namesake's family. For those of you who don't know, Timothy Everett is named after my cousin, Timothy Benton Dowell. Timmy, as we affectionately referred to him, left us too early at the age of 22 on August 17, 2004. A year ago, Nicole and I took a trip down to San Clemente to visit the Dowells and ask for their permission to name Teo after my amazing cousin. Graciously, they agreed to our request and let us honor Timmy the best way I could, with my first born.

Teo will grow to know his cousin Timmy with the stories I will tell him, and I can only hope that he will live the way Timmy did. Timmy was always happy, looking at the bright side of everything. He had a passion for everything, whether it was surfing, music, the Lakers or politics, you could feel his love when he opened his mouth or put pen to paper as he was an incredible writer. He was always respectful of everyone and everything. Teo got the chance to meet the parents who raised this wonderful individual, as well as 3 other amazing cousins, John, Mary, and Jake. It was a special day for us, and I will always remember this first meeting. We did miss Mary T., but we will track her down soon, too. If Teo becomes half the man Timmy was, Nicole and I will be very blessed. Thank you again Dowell family for everything you have done for me, and for giving us this opportunity. I will do everything I can to help raise Timothy Everett in Timothy Benton's memory. I love you Timmy.
-Billy



Timothy Benton Dowell 5/6/1982 to 8/17/2004


From Left: John, Jake (holding Teo), Aunt Shirley and Uncle Larry
For more information about Timmy, check out the following link regarding an annual surf memorial in the San Clemente Times on page 38 of 40: http://www.sanclementetimes.com/uploads/SCT_20080508.pdf

No comments: